Friday, January 13, 2012

The Day I Lost My Life (or My iPhone)

The Day I Lost My Life (or My iPhone)

"I have realized that technology is no longer something we use; technology is a part of who we are." - Maurilio Amorim



I find the technology that we use in our everyday lives to have a kind of irony to them. We create this invisible information inside all of our little devices (our phones, computers, cameras etc) that are supposed to make our lives easier. And then... we lose them, and the world is suddenly at a standstill. All of this data that we once lived without, created, and then lost, without it ever even being tangible, instantly seems to rule our lives the moment it's gone. The reason I bring up this con of technology is because a few weeks ago, I too became the victim of an iPhone crisis. My iPhone wasn't connecting to the newtwork, and even worse, my data wouldn't back up to my iCloud (the cyber version of Olivia), and so I didn't want to get it replaced in fear of losing all of that useless data that I had self created, and lived completely fine without just months before. I suddenly felt isolated. Not only did I have the fear of losing my most prized data, I also had lost my sixth sense - my ability to communicate with others through text messaging. I literally tossed and turned that entire night with the fear of losing my 4.5 x 2.31 inch, 4.9 ounce life. The thing about technology that sucks the most? The ability to lose our entire lives within a tiny little device. Submitted with undying love for my iPhone...

No comments:

Post a Comment